WordPress is now powering 1 of every 6 websites on the internet. They have done something for experienced developers and also for novice users. I can’t simply say “WordPress.com” is for novice users & “WordPress.org” is for developers. Both have advantages & disadvantages.
WordPress.com – “Hosted for you”
WordPress.org – “Open Source, Self-Hosted”
The differences are listed below:
- Gives you a free blog
- Free hosting
- No charges for increased traffic
- No need to manage the server
- Very few security risks
- Limited themes, plugins & settings
- Can’t edit themes
- Can’t edit PHP code
- Custom domain names costs ($30 per year including security for personal information)
- You can’t make money through advertising
- No control over anything
- Full control over everything
- Install anything you want
- Can customize plugins, settings & themes
- Can modify PHP pages
- Depending on your hosting service, additional cost may incur if you need more band width for increased traffic
- Needs your efforts & money to make the site faster
- Security risks from malicious themes & plugins
WordPress.com is blogging platform, It is the easiest way to get a blog up & running for a completed beginner.
WordPress.org is where you can download the open source version of the software. You can put this site on your own web hosting service and run everything yourself.